Re: [css-counter-styles] About space between bullet and content

From: Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 15:51:15 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
On 20/5/14 07:21, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> The CSSWG decided that the spacing between marker and content should
> just be handled by the suffix of the counter style, as it's simple and
> works well for all the predefined styles.  Anything else is confusing
> and weird.

This decision is reflected in the current counter-styles ED, which says
that the initial value of suffix is

"\2E\20" ("." full stop followed by a space)

I wonder: would it be preferable to use "\2E\A0" (full stop followed by
non-breaking space)? ISTM that it is generally undesirable to allow a
line-break between the counter representation and the following text.

(In cases where the counter is -not- being used to introduce or "label"
the immediately following text, and so the non-breaking space might be
inappropriate, I'd expect that one would usually want to override the
default suffix anyway.)

JK