Re: Provide a standardized way to hide scrollbars

On May 21, 2014, at 8:17 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:

> On 21/05/2014 16:09, Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen wrote:
>>
>> Adding another keyword to the overflow property raises the question
>> whether the option of scrolling behaviour while not showing the
>> scrollbars is really exclusive to the other proposed properties for
>> overflow. Reviving the overflow-style property would not raise this
>> problem and would be compatible with IE's solution:
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/hh771902(v=vs.85).aspx
>> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/hh771902%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>.
>
> It could be a separate property too. Whatever fits best with the rest of the css-overflow spec. I don’t have an opinion on this.

Once upon a time css3-marquee defined an overflow-style property. IE10+ used this to expose auto-hide scrollbars, force their hiding etc. [1]

I do not think this should be exposed via the overflow property; the latter concerns itself with content overflow.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh441298.aspx