Re: [css-text-decor-3] 'text-decoration-color' and SVG

On May 20, 2014, at 3:23 PM, Tavmjong Bah <tavmjong@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At the last SVG Face-to-Face meeting we briefly discussed how CSS Text
> Decoration Module Level 3 would apply to SVG. The new
> 'text-decoration-line' and 'text-decoration-style' present no problems
> within SVG but the 'text-decoration-color' property is a horse of
> another color. SVG text decoration is painted using the 'fill' and
> 'stroke' properties of the text where 'text-decoration' is explicitly
> declared. The paint value is not limited to a solid color; it can be a
> gradient or pattern or other SVG paint.
>
> At the F2F it was suggested that we ping the CSS working group for
> suggestions on how to handle 'text-decoration-color' in SVG. After
> thinking about the problem for some time (and consulting with some
> Inkscape developers), I have concluded that 'text-decoration-color'
> should not apply to SVG. Instead there should be two additional SVG only
> properties: 'text-decoration-fill' and 'text-decoration-stroke'.
>
> Any comments?

We definitely should not special case SVG here. Especially because fill and stroke will be introduced to HTML text as well at some point. This probably needs the same behavior as the ‘color' property and the interaction with ‘fill' on HTML text. And quite possibly we want to have HTML and SVG text share the same behavior.

Maybe a value of auto on text-decoration-color could help? On the other hand, fill is an inheriting property just like color. Maybe the initial value of ‘fill' should be change to 'currentColor'. In SVG content, color is black most of the time. So we wouldn’t cause a lot of interoperability issues. 'text-decoration-color’ could then use the specified value of the ‘fill’ property instead.

Greetings,
Dirk