Re: [css-counter-styles] allow use of CSS4 "alt" property with @counter-style/symbols

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 09:22:07 -0700
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>

> On May 19, 2014, at 11:18 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If you want to provide "alt text" for the 'symbols' values,
> instead make a separate counter style with the words you want in
> 'symbols' and "speak-as: words", then set "speak-as:
> your-spoken-style;" in the real counter style.  Xidorn provided
> several examples of this.

This strikes me as somewhat convoluted, but mostly sufficient.

One question I didn’t see answered (apologies if I missed it) was whether one could apply the lang selector to a counter style. For example, I want (>/<) symbols displayed in all locales, but I want the alt text (input/output) localized.

If I’m reading Tab’s summary correctly, we’d have to have duplicated symbolic counter styles in order to use the localized speak-as value.

@counter-style symbols-de { speak-as:  alt-de; }
@counter-style symbols-en { speak-as:  alt-en; }
@counter-style symbols-es { speak-as:  alt-es; }

Is that the intention?