Re: [css-counter-styles] speak-as: auto and the override system

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 8:13 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 2014-05-07 16:08 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:
> >> Instead, I would propose that the 'auto' value say:
> >>   # If the system is override, this value has the same effect that
> >>   # 'auto' would have for the overridden counter style.
> >> which seems more consistent with how the override system otherwise
> >> works.
> >
> > And I suppose the same proposal applies to 'range: auto', which has
> > the same issue (though without the loop detection complexity), and
> > which is defined in
> > http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-counter-styles/#counter-style-range
>
> Both of these sound great to me.  Changed.

There is one problem with the new rule: the behavior of 'range: auto' is
not defined for complex builtin styles, especially Chinese and Ethiopic
styles which have no system defined at all. I think it might make sense to
specify the behavior for those styles separately, but this makes the spec
more complex.

For the reason, I propose that the behavior of 'auto' for 'range' should be
reverted to the previous version, so that we don't need to handle those
special cases. As this behavior is slightly different from that of other
descriptors, it might be helpful to have a note to describe.

- Xidorn