Re: [css-writing-modes] 'direction' vs. vertical text

On 07/05/2014 17:42, fantasai wrote:

> These are about bidi. They don't give the inline direction directly.

The spec sounds a lot like like they do:

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-writing-modes/#direction
> This property specifies the inline base direction or directionality
> of any bidi paragraph, embedding, isolate, or override established by
> the box.

Although it’s not cross linked (shouldn’t it?), "inline base direction"
is the same term as in

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-writing-modes/#inline-base-direction
> The direction property specifies the inline base direction of a box

Am I missing something?

> If I turn the text upside down with transforms, LTR goes from right
> to left. You're not confused about that, right? :)

Of course, you can move things any way with transforms, but you know
that’s not what I’m talking about :)

For layout purpose "up" is where 'margin-top' is, whichever direction
that is after transforms.

> Keep reading, there's a nice diagram right below.
>     http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-writing-modes/#line-directions

I don’t find the answer to my question (how are 'direction' and the
inline base direction defined in a vertical writing mode) in this section.

> And a table if you want it all laid out for you:
>     http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-writing-modes/#logical-to-physical

I do here, indirectly, but it seems to imply that the text-orientation
property also affects the inline base direction, which was not mentioned
in http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-writing-modes/#inline-base-direction

Also, this table seems to be missing some columns for the 'sideways' and
'use-glyph-orientation' values of 'text-orientation'.

Finally, this table is said to "summarize". Should there be normative
text that this is the summary of?

--
Simon Sapin