[css-masking] Reverse naming change for 'mask-type' and 'mask-source-type'

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 17:01:55 +0000
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
CC: FX <public-fx@w3.org>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Hi,

I would like to change the name of ‘mask-source-type’ back to ‘mask-type’[1][2]. Blink and WebKit have been supporting ‘mask-type’ since late 2012. And Chrome/Opera and Safari ship with the property. I underestimated the use of ‘mask-type’. Use counters in Blink actually demonstrate a stable usage for a longer period of time (even though still minimal)[3]. Not supporting the property anymore could mean that content is not displayed correctly. I probably should have communicated this much earlier and more strongly. I am truly sorry about that and admit that it was my mistake.

I am still open for a new name for the currently still named 'mask-type’ property but think that ‘mask-source-type’ is ok. My suggestion is to swap back the names to the original names.

Greetings,
Dirk

[1] http://dev.w3.org/fxtf/css-masking-1/#the-mask-type
[2] http://dev.w3.org/fxtf/css-masking-1/#the-mask-source-type