Re: [selectors] "Match a selector" vs. ordering and pseudo-elements

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Selectors 4 defines a "match a selector" algorithm [1] (used in DOM for
> selectors APIs [2]), but it’s obvious what happens to pseudo-elements in
> this algorithm. DOM expects a list of elements (only) as a result.
>
> "Append each element in single result to result" seems to imply excluding
> pseudo-elements in the process, but that should be explicit.
>
> (This issue was originally in [3], but it now looks like Selector 4’s text
> needs a bit of tweaking.)

I've made the "evaluate a selector" algo more explicit that
pseudo-elements *are* part of the result, but invokers of the algo can
restrict this.

> Also, I *think* that elements in API results are expected to be in document
> order, but I’m not sure that the algorithm as written in the current ED
> ensures that.

The "evaluate a selector" algo specifies that the results are in
document order unless otherwise specified.