Re: [css-variables] ...let's change the syntax

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Andrew Fedoniouk
<news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's literally the exact opposite of the intention that led me to
>> start this thread.  I'm trying to make custom properties and variables
>> *less* connected, not more.
>>

> If they are not variables the let's use const() then
>
> p {
>        const(company-color-1): green;
>        background-color: const(company-color-1);
>    }
>
> Or some as such.

You don't seem to understand what I meant when I said that's the exact
opposite of why I started the thread, because this suggestion is
*still* the exact opposite.

> The main goal as far as I understand is to separate standard
> properties namespace from
> custom ones. The only strict way of doing this in existing CSS syntax
> constructs is
> function notation. All these '-' and '_' tricks are really palliatives.

Separating the namespace out is already done - the current spec's use
of a "var-" prefix accomplishes that.  This thread is meant to explore
alternatives that would mesh better with the *other* author-custom
things getting added, which don't have any connection to var().