Re: [css-variables] ...let's change the syntax

On 16/03/2014 07:49, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
>> I don't forsee "--" as needing any changes to our CSS parser, so it
>> shouldn't be any harder to switch to than "_".

Really? My reading on nsCSSScanner.cpp is that we correctly implement
the spec, and a token that starts with "--" can not be a eCSSToken_Ident

http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/layout/style/nsCSSScanner.cpp?rev=a2cb9d6adebc#1275

So I believe this would requires a change in the tokenizer. Are we ready
to make the same change to all CSS identifiers?

> But yeah, -- as a prefix works just fine
> for me - it's easy to type, easy to see/notice, has a nice parallel
> with the old vendor prefixes, and as a special bonus, simplifies the
> definition of <ident-token> slightly.

Does it? As I understand it, the current definition of <ident-token> is
designed to not overlap with numbers:

* An optional ASCII hyphen
* Followed by one name-start code point or escape
* Followed by zero or more name code points or escapes

(The non-overlap with numbers, including negative, is achieved by having
"name-start" not contain the ASCII hyphen or digits)

What would be the new one?

--
Simon Sapin