Re: [css-color] Extended Named Colors (was: Last call comments on CSS3 module: color)

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 3:29 AM, Christoph Päper
<christoph.paeper@crissov.de> wrote:
> Alex Sexton <alexsexton@gmail.com>:
>> Sorry for the short delay in responding to this,
>
> Is this really a reply to a thread from May 2002?
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2002May/0131.html>

Hahaha, yep.

> This reminded me of an idea I had a while ago: turn color names into pseudo functions, e.g. ‘gray’:
>
>   ‘gray0’   = gray(0%)   /* = ‘black’ */
>    …
>   ‘gray50’  = gray(50%)
>    …
>   ‘gray’    = gray()     /* = ‘gray(50%)’ in CSS, but ‘gray75’ in X11 */
>    …
>   ‘gray75’  = gray(75%)  /* = ‘silver’ = ‘silver()’ */
>    …
>   ‘gray100’ = gray(100%) /* = ‘white’ */
>
> I think this notation has been suggested before as a shortcut for repeated triplets in RGB functions or as an alias to also proposed single-value RGB function or as the lightness in otherwise zeroed HSL (and HSV) values.

gray() is already in the Colors 4 draft:
<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-color/#grays>

> Let’s not stop there. We could put basically anything inside those parentheses and it would work nicely even within shorthand properties. This includes CNS keywords!
[snip CNS system proposal]

I did a good bit of research and gave a lot of thought to this 2 years
ago, and came up with a slightly modified CNS  as well:
<http://www.xanthir.com/blog/b4Jp0>

I haven't put it into Colors 4 yet, but I plan to do so eventually (or
more likely, Colors 5).