Re: [css-position] sticky only along one axis

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Viatcheslav Ostapenko
<sl.ostapenko@samsung.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-03-14 at 12:26 -0400, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>> I just noticed that position:sticky is currently defined to make the
>> box stick to the viewport along *both* axes.
>
> Actually, it is not.
> It is defined to make it stick to the corresponding border. You can
> specify several borders, but usually it is single border.
> What I see at the owlfolio page can be done for table header with:
>
> <thead style="position: sticky; top: 0px;">

Oh, I see.  I must have misunderstood the algorithm (prose algorithms
are not really my friend).  If I wanted stickiness at top and left, I
would just add "left: 0px" to the above?

>> Relatedly, please please make sure that sticky DOES work on <thead>
>> and <tr> - both that the box sticks, and that the table continues to
>> be laid out as if the box had not been removed from normal flow.  Last
>> I checked, the Webkit implementation ignored position:sticky on
>> <thead>. (At that time there was no Gecko implementation, so I don't
>> know what it does.)
>
> It is fixed recently on webkit and blink:
> http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/162960
> https://codereview.chromium.org/143653008/

Good to know, thanks.

zw