Re: [css-writing-modes] Rename extent/measure to block-size/inline-size?

On 12/03/2014 18:47, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2014-03-12 17:46 (GMT) Alan Stearns composed:
>> I think inline-size and block-size are obviously one-dimensional.
>
> I'm coming up empty thinking of any context other than computing or video
> where "size" attempts to imply one dimension. Clearly a 21" LCD display
> cannot have only one dimension, but a size 9 shoe is obviously not
> one-dimensional. A size XL shirt is obviously not one-dimensional. A size
> 205/70-15 tire is obviously not one-dimensional. To me it's clearer if
> referring to a width or a height when a word generically meaning a single
> length or width or dimension is used instead of one normally used outside a
> CSS context for an area or a volume.

Thank you, we heard this argument.

I’m not especially attached to "size", as long as it’s
"inline-something" and "block-something". Do you have suggestions for
what the "something" should be? Some options are dimension, length,
breadth, extent, ...

--
Simon Sapin