Re: What is the containing block for absolutely positioned descendants of a relatively positioned table?

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:13:18PM -0400, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Gecko: uses table wrapper box
> IE11: uses table wrapper box
> WebKit/Blink: uses table wrapper box deflated by the border of the
>               table box (!).
> Presto: Same as WebKit, afaict.
>
> It seems to me that the only consistent options here are using the
> padding edge of the table box or using the padding edge of the table
> wrapper box (the latter being what Gecko and IE do)...  I can't
> figure out why the WebKit behavior would be desirable; it seems
> strictly worse than using the padding edge of the table box.

I'd guess that this comes from (inconsistently) assuming the borders to apply
to the table wrapper box instead of the table box.  In other words, I'd guess
that the WebKit behaviour is simply a bug.  Though it is a bit surprising that
two layout engines would have such a bug; can you confirm that you really mean
Presto, or do you mean the Chromium/Blink version of Opera?

pjrm.