Re: [css-gcpm] move inline/block decision to footnote area?

On 3/5/14, 7:40 PM, "Cramer, Dave" <Dave.Cramer@hbgusa.com> wrote:

>On 2/11/14 8:19 PM, "Alan Stearns" <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
>

>>What if there was a property you could set on the footnote area that took
>>these values?
>>
>>block - footnotes are all display block
>>
>>inline - footnotes are all display inline
>>
>>inline-block - footnotes are all display inline-block, which means that a
>>series of shorter footnotes would all render on a single line, while
>>longer ones would render on their own.
>>
>>We might call the property display-inside, but I¹m not sure if adding
>>inline and inline-block values to that particular property would be the
>>correct thing to do.
>

>I like the idea, but could it work on the footnote element itself rather
>than the footnote area? That could address the authoring burden while
>still allowing the option of footnote-by-footnote control. Håkon has
>proposed a similar property [2], and so it might look like this:
>
>span.footnote {
>float: footnote;
>footnote-display: compact; /* (or auto, or something, in addition to block
>and inline) */
>}

If there’s a need for footnote-by-footnote control then that would be
fine. If you authoring for a particular page size, then I understand
wanting the footnote-by-footnote control. But even then it seems like a
bit of a burden to me, because if you change the text length of a footnote
you might have to reconsider the footnote-display setting you picked
before.

I’m mainly thinking of cases where you aren’t able to determine at
authoring time whether a given footnote should be block or inline, because
you don’t know the page size or the footnote area size. In those cases, I
think you want the footnote display controls on the footnote area, and
setting footnote-display on individual footnotes isn’t going to be useful.

Thanks,

Alan