Re: [css-grid] Does <custom-ident> in grid-template-rows/grid-template-columns exclude auto/minmax/subgrid?

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 02:31:02 -0800
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On 02/26/2014 01:25 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> Question: Should "minmax" [...] "auto", and "subgrid" be accepted as valid
>> <custom-ident> values, in the <line-names> list for the
>> grid-template-columns and grid-template-rows properties?
[...]
> Correct, they're not valid.  You're right that they'd be unambiguous,
> but I don't think it's necessary to care.

Followup question:

When a UA is parsing the grid-template-rows / grid-template-columns
properties **as subcomponents of the "grid" shorthand property**, should
it consider the keywords "rows", "columns", and "dense" as being
disallowed <custom-ident> line-names?

(These keywords aren't normally disallowed <custom-ident>s, but in the
context of the shorthand, they might have to be, since they are valid
keywords for other sub-properties of the shorthand. There'd be no
ambiguity if we allowed them here, since as <custom-ident> values,
they'd be parenthesized. But I can imagine hypothetical shorthand
properties where there would be ambiguity.)

Thanks,
~Daniel