Re: [css-text] Control characters

On Jun 29, 2014, at 12:58 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

>> On 6/29/14, 12:52 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> If there is a browser that can't find a word because it has an invisible control character in it, then it should be handled by filing a bug report to the browser maker for its silly usability problem
>
> Can you name a piece of software in which text search works the way you
> claim you want it to work in browsers?  Do text editors do that?  Word
> processors?  Internet search engines?  Anything else?

I don't know, but I also largely don't care. I will readily cede your implied point that it might not be what software developers are used to, or that it might not be what is normally available from their code libraries or built-in functions. My viewpoint is informed by how I think users (first) and web authors (second) are best served. It is not based on if it is easy for implementors, or if other software might suffer the same sort of problems.