Re: [CfC] adding 'rebeccapurple' color to CSS Color Level 4

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
wrote:

> Le 2014-06-19 12:46, Dave Cramer a écrit :
>
>  On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Daniel Glazman <
>> daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:
>>
>>  (co-chair hat on)
>>>
>>> Following a proposal sent to social media, it is suggested
>>> to add the named color 'rebeccapurple', for value #663399, to
>>> CSS Color Level 4. This is a tribute to Eric Meyer's daughter
>>> who recently passed away and a mark of support from all the
>>> Web community to Eric. I requested to ping Eric to be absolutely
>>> sure he is ok with this; he responded "he was honored by the gesture,
>>> and would love to accept it".
>>>
>>> Some implementors (Mozilla, Apple, Google and Microsoft) have already
>>> said they will implement and ship the new value.
>>>
>>> So this is a Call for Consensus on that proposal.
>>>

>>>  Web standards are the creation of humans, and memorializing the dead
>> may be
>> one of the oldest human traits. In this extraordinary circumstance, I say
>> yes.
>>
>> Dave Cramer (member of the CSSWG, father of a six-year-old)
>>

> Dave,
>
> Your explanation does not fit the context or/and the event.
>
> Nothing prevents Eric Meyer from prefacing his next book or a re-edition
> of any of his previous books from memorializing his loved daughter.
>
> Every specification has an Acknowledgements section thanking the
> contributors "for their input and feedback on the www-style mailing list,
> have helped us with the creation of this specification".
>
> Gérard Talbot

Not to wade into endless debate, if you feel differently then respond so
and we can agree to leave it there, but I'd like to propose a different way
of looking at this.  CSSWG writes a draft, it doesn't traditionally invent
color names - it plays the role of a dictionary editor in accepting the
vernacular that the community accepts.  Current color names include things
named after people already, as well as colors named after all sorts of
things that just pick up (cadet blue, for example).  Hundreds of responses
have poured in through all sorts of media from the community (that is,
people who use CSS) in a series of a couple of days supporting the
acceptance of this - more feedback than anything else in Web standards that
I have ever seen and it is overwhelmingly positive.  As a dictionary
editor, a few people not using words that are never the less part of the
common vernacular, does not prevent adoption... that's the norm.

>From an entirely dispassionate standpoint I still see no reason to reject
loud calls from the community because of their origin or intent.