Re: It's time for contextual positioning

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 2:22 AM, Simon Ferndriger
<ferndriger.business@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't even know if there is a major website that doesn't use overlay context menus.
> Currently, the positioning requires very difficult calculations, in most cases even JavaScript, to find out if the context menu should expand to the top, bottom, left or right.
>
> My suggestion would be to add a new positioning option:
>
>> position:contextual;
>> context:#elementID
>
> This would create an absolute positioned overlay, exactly nearby the element with the provided #elementID.
> No need for calculations.
>
> PS: This new positioning could also be used as an alternative title tag (hover tip).

I strongly agree that something like this is necessary!  However, I'd
like to consider it as part of a general overhaul and sanification of
absolute positioning, rather than jumping straight into a custom
solution.

~TJ