Re: [css-figures][css-multicol][css-overflow] Ten CSS One-Liners to Replace Native Apps

Rafał Pietrak wrote:

 > Speaking as an ocassional web-pages author: I would apreaciate if I
 > could css-declare: "body {column-count:1}", and as a consequence get an
 > "e-book reader" like page behavior, meaning:
 >
 > 1. vertical scroller *disapear*, and column height hard-equal to the
 > current viewport height.

This is what 'overflow: paged-*' do [1]

I'd like it to be easy to switch into paged mode, but I'm not sure
'column-count' is a good switch (even if we could turn back time).
There are cases when you want multi-column layouts, even in scrolled
environment. E.g., Wikipedia uses it for references. A few more
keywords on the 'overflow' property seems like a reasonable solution,
no?

 > 2. horizontal scroller show up (if content overflows the one visible column)

Yes, or some other UI. This is what 'overflow: paged-*-controls' does.

 > 3. scroll the content "page by page" horizontally ... with a little of
 > "sticky gravity" at the column-edge to viewport-vertical-edge alignment.
 >
 > ... and have it consistantly that way if I choose other then "1" for a
 > number of columns.
 >
 > -R

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css-overflow-3/#overflow-properties

-h&kon