Re: [css-gcpm] Footnotes as Regions

On 7/23/14, 3:23 PM, "Dave Cramer" <dauwhe@gmail.com> wrote:

>B. We need to express the constraint that the footnote appear on the same
>page as its reference, and how to handle footnotes (or portions of
>footnotes) that won't fit on the original page. This is where the serious
>magic happens.

There may be some way of helping this along by adding more keywords to
flow-from.

One of the use cases identified for a region chain was to have a region
that did not ‘consume’ flow content. Think of a flipboard-style article
summary that shows the beginning of an article, then the article re-starts
in the second region. The first region in the chain does not ‘consume’ the
portion of the flow it displays. There was a suggestion to add a keyword
to flow-from for regions like this to control this behavior.

Similarly, we could add a keyword to flow-from that indicates that the
region only displays named flow content within a particular context, like
a page. So if a page-context keyword is added to the flow-from value for a
footnote region, that region will only display footnotes for that page,
and the required-flow for that footnote region is evaluated using only the
page-context content as well.

This could be useful for other page adornments, like pull quotes. A pull
quote region could use the page-context keyword and only get created and
display some content if the pull quote named flow has some content in the
page’s context.

Thanks,

Alan