Re: [css-overflow][css-page] paged media

On 06/12/2014 06:05 AM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Below are comments to the Editor's draft of CSS Overflow.
>
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/css-overflow-3/
>    http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-overflow-3/
>
> Some comments also refer to CSS Paged Media:
>
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-page/
>    http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-page/
>
> Comments are from several Opera employees, including implementors.
>
> -----------
>
> When paged is set on the root element, we'd like for @page to be honored so that one can set margins:
>
> @page {
>    margin: 40px;
> }
>
> Perhaps this is better expressed in Paged Media?:
>
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-page/
>    http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-page/

I'd been pondering the same thing, in fact. While I'm happy to add any
complementary text as necessary to CSS3 Page, I think the main part of
this would go in the Overflow spec: it needs to say that it generates
page boxes in such a case.

> ----------
>
> Further, to support centering the page in the viewport, it should be possible to say:
>
> @page {
>    margin: auto;
>    size: 200px 300px;
> }
>
> That is, 'auto' centers the page both horizontally and vertically.
> But, perhaps this should be part of css-paged, and not css-overflow?

This is already possible, thanks to a resolution we adopted when
proposed by Murakami-san many years ago in Tokyo. :)

   @page {
     margin: auto;
     width: 200px;
     height: 300px;
   }

The 'size' property sets the size of the page box's containing block--
the margins are *inside* it, not outside it as with width/height.

~fantasai