Re: [css-ruby] How should the ruby display types interact with CSS2.1 section 9.7?

On 07/15/2014 01:07 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Specifically, what should happen with ruby display types on the root element, and in combination with 'float' values other
> than 'none' and position:absolute/fixed?
>
> A strict reading of CSS 2.1 section 9.7 says they compute to themselves, but I'm not sure they make sense.
>
> For comparison, here's what flexbox says:
>
>    If an element’s specified display is inline-flex, then its display
>    property computes to flex in certain circumstances: the table in
>    CSS 2.1 Section 9.7 is amended to contain an additional row, with
>    inline-flex in the "Specified Value" column and flex in the "Computed
>    Value" column.
>
> My personal preference would be to convert all the ruby display types
> to "block" on the root and for float/abspos boxes.

Good point. I didn't define blockification of anything except ruby
containers. Added some text about it... it would fall out of the
'display-outside' -> ''block-level'' conversion that the Display
module should be defining in order to supersede CSS2.1.

~fantasai