RE: [CSS2.1] Interop Issue in regards to fixed/absolute positioned children inside of inline-relative containers

From: Greg Whitworth <gwhit@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 14:30:57 +0000
To: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
> This is just a quick reply.
>

> We have CSS2.1 tests testing abs. pos. inlines inside an rel. pos inline but I
> believe we do not have tests testing abs. pos. blocks inside an rel. pos. inline.
>
> ----------
>
> These 2 tests were removed because the CSS2.1 spec changed (§ 10.1) and
> became less stringent:
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/containing-

> block-031.html
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/containing-

> block-032.html
>
> See
> http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-215

> "
> Summary
>      Make it undefined what containing block is formed by a relpos inline that
> splits across multiple lines "

> If the rel. pos. inline is broken into several line boxes, then containing block
> for its abs. pos. children is unknown, undefined in CSS
> 2.1
>
> Draft test for now:
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/abs-pos-child-

> inside-rel-pos-inline-001.html
>
> Gérard

Thanks for the reply! We found this bug while fixing another so I would prefer to specify it if possible. As I noted I think IE's implementation makes the most sense in this case as we treat all of the elements and their offsets consistently which is good for authors. Would you be the one to work with in getting something like spec'd? I can write up what we currently do (I summarized it briefly) if there is agreement that IE's implementation is the preferred one.

Greg