[css-flexbox] Clarifying the new "Resolving Flexible Lengths" text: un-frozen items and free-space recomputation

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 15:15:36 -0800
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Hi Tab,

I've got two more clarification questions on the new "Resolving Flexible
Lengths" text:

 1) In the new "Resolving Flexible Lengths" text, the Loop has several
mentions of "all the flex items" or "each item" -- I think those all
want to be specifically about *non-frozen* items.  I don't think we want
to apply those operations (e.g. summing desired sizes, clamping to
min/max range) on frozen items (since desired sizes are no longer
relevant, and we've already clamped).

  So: I think every mention of "items" or "each item" in the Loop steps
3, 4, and 5 might want to be replaced with "non-frozen item[s]".

 2) Right now, the "free space" is set once, before the Loop, and then
never updated. I think this is problematic. For example -- at the end of
the first Loop iteration, we may discover a min-violation and freeze a
flex item at a larger size (effectively eating up some, maybe all, of
the free space) -- but then on the next Loop iteration, the algorithm
doesn't account for that free-space-reduction. We'll still try to
distribute all of the original free space among the remaining
(un-frozen) items, and we'll end up sizing things too big.

  So: I suspect we might want to be recalculating the free space at the
end of each loop iteration, or something like that...

Thanks!
~Daniel