Re: [css-masking][css4-background][css-images] 9-part sliced images (was: [css4-background] 9-part slicing images in background-image)

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:40 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2014, at 8:06 AM, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2014-01-02 at 21:40 -0800, Rik Cabanier wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Ok, I see. This is not about implementing 9-slice scaling; you're defining
>>> a new image function that can do everything that border-image does (which
>>> includes 9-slice scaling)
>>>
>>> You probable want to add the 'fill' keyword as well [1]
>>>
>>> 1: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-backgrounds/#border-image-slice-fill
>>
>> If border-image were to be extended I'd for sure want to see more
>> traditional 16-part border images (plus middle) - they are like the
>> 9-part we have now but with centre images in each segment, and allowing
>> the extensible parts between corner and middle to differ on each side of
>> centre:
>
> Liam, searching for "16 slice scaling” gives no results for 16 slice scaling but exclusively for “9 slice scaling”. I fear that 16 tiles is too complex to handle for authors anyway. I am not even sure which graphics tool does support 16 tiles today. Do you have more information about current support for 16 slice scaling in productive tooling?

We have definitely discussed a 5x5 image-slicing syntax for
border-image and for sliced images in general, in addition to the
current 3x3.  As Liam points out, it has precedent in page margin
boxes with good reason, and is used in print a decent bit.