Re: CSS3 lighten/darken suggestion

Hello Jon,

> My knowledge of colour theory is pretty weak, but as I understand it,
> a problem with transforming colours in RGB/HSL etc. is that
> equal-sized changes do not have perceptually uniform results
> throughout the colour space[1].

Correct.

> Is there scope to allow transformations that are done in the Lab
> colour space[2]?

Lab isn't (totally) perceptually uniform either (but it is way better than
HSL). To improve on Lab you need to either go for a multidimensional
colour-appearance space, or alternatively use a more complex distance
metric than straight Pythagoream distance (delta-E 2000 is an example
of such a metric).
http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.html?Eqn_DeltaE_CIE2000.html
http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Delta_E:_The_Color_Difference

A further problem with modifying in Lab is that you easily get out of
gamut colours, which then need to be mapped back into the gamut, which
then means that your computed sets of colours are no longer
perceptually evenly spaced again. So overall, its a good goal but non
trivial. Thus, an Lab-based algorithm should not be the only one.

For CSS Color 4 its probably sufficient to make manipulations in HSL,
provided this does not preclude any later, additional methods.

--
Best regards,