Re: [css-fonts] Named Stylistic Sets

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 12:28 PM, Christoph Päper
<christoph.paeper@crissov.de> wrote:
> It is possible, in Open Type Format 1.6, to specify human readable names for stylistic sets ‘ss01’ through ‘ss20’ and character variants ‘cv01’ through ‘cv99’. This is done in the ‘uiLabelNameId’ / ‘featUiLabelNameId’ field in the Feature Parameters table.
>
> <https://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/features_pt.htm#ssxx>
> <https://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/features_ae.htm#cv01-cv99>
>
> Should the ‘character-variant()’ and ‘styleset()’ values of the ‘font-variant-alternates’ property be made to accept these?
>
> <feature-value-name> could be pre-populated with such names, which could be overwritten within ‘@font-feature-values’.
>
> <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-fonts/#font-feature-values>

Generally, when a name comes from outside CSS, we represent it
internally as a string rather than an ident.  That way you don't have
to remember the ident syntax and escaping rules, which the other
source probably doesn't restrict itself to.

So yes, it's possible to have the style functions accept these names,
but they'd probably be done as strings.