Re: [css-grid] Sizing of grid items

On 02/07/2014 08:48 AM, Simon Sapin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> §2.3 "Grid Areas" of the Grid ED defines:
>
>> A grid item’s grid area forms the containing block into which it is
>> laid out.
>
> And §9 "Alignment":
>
>> After a grid container’s grid tracks have been sized, and the
>> dimensions of all grid items are finalized, grid items can be aligned
>> within their grid areas.
>
> But how to determine the used width and height of a grid item, especially if the computed value is 'auto'? Did I miss
> something in the spec?
>
> (I’ll assume a horizontal writing mode, adapt as needed for vertical.)
>
> Although it’s still worth noting in the Grid spec, grid items’ used heights can be defined by their respective type of
> formatting context, which are mentioned in §4 "Grid Items":
>
>> A grid item establishes a new formatting context for its contents.
>> The type of this formatting context is determined by its display
>> value, as usual.
>
> What about the used width?

We added the following text. Let us know if this works!

# A grid item is sized within the containing block defined by its
# grid area similarly to an equivalent block-level box in an
# equivalently-sized containing block, except that auto margins
# and the box alignment properties have special effects. (See
# §9 Alignment.)

~fantasai and TJ