Re: [css-grid] Extra space distribution algorithm (clarification request)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:37:24 -0800
To: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Cc: CSS WG <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 8:13 AM, François REMY
<francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got two questions about the extra space distribution algorithm as
> explained in the CSS Grid specfication. I would find it useful if someone
> could have a look at them.
>
> Thanks a lot for your input already,
> François
>

> [1] Could someone please provide me an example where a track's growth limit
> changes from being infinite to be finite, as in “Mark any tracks whose
> growth limit changed from infinite to finite in this step as infinitely
> growable for the next step.“ [3] ? (btw, shouldn't "tracks" be singular
> here?) My best guess is that this refers to a track whose growth limit was
> modified at step 1 (which states "set ... to" and not "increase ... by"),
> but then shouldn't we add a remark in this first step specifying to mark the
> track for infinite-growth-cancellation, to make the statement at step 2
> easier to understand? Or is this guess completely wrong?

Peter Salas provided a great example a while ago:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014Mar/0500.html

> [2] I'm also not sure why (it seems) the base size of an intrinsicly-sized
> track is increased before its growth limit, potentially triggering the
> "all-tracks-reached-growth-limit" algorithm before giving a chance to
> increase that limit, though I'm thinking this may be linked to the
> misunderstanding I have of the previous point. In any case, could someone
> clarify the aim of this specific increase order?

We're not trying to increase the growth limits here. What we want to
do is accommodate a spanning element *without* extending beyond any
one track's growth limit, if possible.

~TJ and fantasai