Re: [css-ruby] What does it mean for "ruby-position: inter-character" to force writing-mode to be vertical?

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 3:24 AM, Bobby Tung <bobbytung@wanderer.tw> wrote:
>>> (4) Does this "forcing" apply to descendants of the ruby annotation?
>>> e.g. if a ruby annotation has a child with "display:inline-block", is
>>> that child *also* forced to have a vertical writing-mode?  (If the child
>>> isn't forced: does it still get a vertical writing mode by default,
>>> somehow? Presumably not through inheritance, unless the answer to (1)
>>> was "yes".)
>>
>> Yes, IIUC. I'm not sure how rendering of Bopomofo is going to be
>> implemented, but I've heard at least once before that <sup> may be
>> used within <rt> for Bopomofo to position marks correctly, or <span>
>> with additional styles. I hoped it's done in font features, but it may
>> not have happened.
>>
>> Bobby, any updates?
>
> <sup> within <rt> is used for mark native Taiwanese (Min Nan[1]). Min Nan has eight tone so they used sup for number to indicate tone.[2]
>
> But for now, I don't see any sample mark tone this way in vertical writing.
>
> There are several ways to mark tone for Min Nan, suppered number is one, inline unicode combination is another[3]. And Bopomofo for Min Nan[4].
>
> Bopomofo is mainly for Mandarin.
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Min_Nan
> [2] https://www.dropbox.com/s/db6nbkm7obxf6ph/taiwanese_pinyin.png
> [3] https://www.dropbox.com/s/1z9q5c2eoqgj7tr/minromanji.png?dl=0
> [4] https://www.dropbox.com/s/msi20s4fjabln83/minbopomofo.png?dl=0

Ah...I can't understand this due to lack of my knowledge on Chinese.
Let me change the question.

1. Do you have any use cases of having elements inside <rt> for
inter-character, or just having text suffices the use cases?
2. If yes to #1, do you want those elements layout in vertical flow,
or horizontal flow?
3. Do you have any use cases of having Latin characters inside of <rt>
for inter-character?

/koji