Re: [css-fonts] font prefetch hints

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 9:30 PM, Kenji Baheux <kenjibaheux@chromium.org>
wrote:

> However, the url parameter seems a much better fit for other use cases:
>
> body {
>     background-image: url("bg.png", <fetch init options>);
> }
>
> vs.
>
> body {
>     background-image: url("bg.png");
>     fetch-settings: preload <fetch init options>?;
> }

Actually, it's the same issue, since you can provide multiple backgrounds
and layer them: "background: url(...), url(...), ..."

One argument for <fetch options> as part of url() is that it would allow
you to specify different options for each resource. That said, I'm not sure
I have a compelling use case for where this is necessary (will noodle on
this one some more), plus there is the downside of forcing you to duplicate
options for each resource.

If we move forward with fetch-settings: same settings apply to all
resources in.. that rule only? Does the property propagate down? If it
does, this becomes tricky for preloaders -- now you need to build the tree,
etc., whereas our goal here is to be able to determine whether we should
initiate the fetch without waiting for the full CSS tree.

ig