W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > December 2014

Re: [css-writing-modes][CSS21][css3-ui] defining 'cursor: auto' properly (Issue 48)

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 17:31:15 +0100
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Message-Id: <C8C878A7-443B-489B-86E6-F33CE1F9664F@rivoal.net>
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
> On 01 Dec 2014, at 17:11, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>>> On 01 Dec 2014, at 05:02, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Nov 26, 2014, at 10:03 PM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>>>> However, in a run of Tate-chuu-yoko (as triggered by 'text-combine-upright’), I would expect a ‘text’ cursor. As far as I can tell, [css-writing-modes] does not say anything about what the writing mode of a run of tate-chuu-yoko is. If that’s considered horizontal, it would be good to make that explicit, and if that’s considered vertical, we either need a new term to refer to from [css3-ui], or we need to single out this case.
>>> 9.1.2, Layout Rules[1] says this:
>>>> the glyphs of the combined text are composed horizontally (ignoring letter-spacing and any forced line breaks, but using the specified font settings), similar to the contents of an inline-box with a horizontal writing mode and a line-height of 1em.
>>> Is this explicit enough?
>>> [1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-writing-modes/#text-combine-layout
>> It is explicit enough to know what is happening in a combined text area, but I don’t think it gives me a word which means “horizontal in a horizontal writing mode and in a text-combine area inside a vertical writing mode, and vertical in other areas of a vertical writing mode”.
>> What I am looking for is not an explanation of the behaviour (which we have), but vocabulary to refer to it.
> I don't understand what the problem is, the text says "horizontal
> writing mode". I can't read it otherwise.

It says “similar to […] a horizontal writing mode”, which suggests that even though it behaves the same it might be called something else.

The definitions of horizontal and vertical writing modes are:

"A horizontal writing mode is one with horizontal lines of text, i.e. a downward or upward block flow. A vertical writing mode is one with vertical lines of text, i.e. a leftward or rightward block flow.”

Maybe it is good enough, despite the lack of downward of upward block flow in a text-combine area.

> If that's not enough for whatever reasons.

I don’t know. The behaviour seams perfectly clear to me, but the terminology I am less sure.

> what about instead the CSS
> UI spec defines cursors against the orientation of baseline?

That sounds like it should work.
- According to http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-writing-modes-3/#text-baselines, "text-orientation: upright; writing-mode: vertical”, gives a vertical baseline. 
- According to http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-writing-modes-3/#text-combine-layout, text-combine-upright has a horizontal baseline

Received on Monday, 1 December 2014 16:31:40 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 25 March 2022 10:08:49 UTC