W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > December 2014

Re: [css-writing-modes][CSS21][css3-ui] defining 'cursor: auto' properly (Issue 48)

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 10:13:06 +0100
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Tantek «elik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Message-Id: <6BF3CD63-33C6-44D4-87F3-DE75A681CD5D@rivoal.net>
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>

> On 01 Dec 2014, at 05:02, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2014, at 10:03 PM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>> However, in a run of Tate-chuu-yoko (as triggered by 'text-combine-uprightí), I would expect a Ďtextí cursor. As far as I can tell, [css-writing-modes] does not say anything about what the writing mode of a run of tate-chuu-yoko is. If thatís considered horizontal, it would be good to make that explicit, and if thatís considered vertical, we either need a new term to refer to from [css3-ui], or we need to single out this case.
> 9.1.2, Layout Rules[1] says this:
>> the glyphs of the combined text are composed horizontally (ignoring letter-spacing and any forced line breaks, but using the specified font settings), similar to the contents of an inline-box with a horizontal writing mode and a line-height of 1em.
> Is this explicit enough?
> [1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-writing-modes/#text-combine-layout

It is explicit enough to know what is happening in a combined text area, but I donít think it gives me a word which means ďhorizontal in a horizontal writing mode and in a text-combine area inside a vertical writing mode, and vertical in other areas of a vertical writing modeĒ.

What I am looking for is not an explanation of the behaviour (which we have), but vocabulary to refer to it.

 - Florian
Received on Monday, 1 December 2014 09:15:43 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Monday, 23 January 2023 02:14:46 UTC