Re: [css-ruby] Continuing Text Runs Through Ruby Frames

On 08/14/2014 04:59 PM, Susanna Bowen wrote:
> The CSS ruby spec doesn't seem to discuss whether text runs should be continued through any ruby frames.
>
> Considering that ruby annotations are positioned apart from each other, sometimes between characters, it doesn't seem to make sense to continue text runs through ruby annotations.
>
> However, one could make a case for them continuing through ruby bases, since they're always laid out next to each other on the same line. The only situation in which this might not make sense is if a ruby base is spaced apart from the others to provide room for an annotation.
>
> What are other thoughts here?

I agree with you wrt ruby bases: if possible, they should be all
part of the same run as the rest of the text.

Wrt annotations, if annotations are merged together ('ruby-merge')
then it would be ideal to keep them as part of the same text run.
However, if they are separated layout-wise, then they'll have to
be separated text-run-wise as well.

~fantasai