Re: [css-counter-styles] position keywords in list-style

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 4:01 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:

> On 29/03/2014 17:36, Simon Sapin wrote:
>
>> On 29/03/2014 04:29, Xidorn Quan wrote:
>>
>>> If there is more than one position keywords, namely 'inside' and
>>> 'outside', appear in list-style, should we accept one of them as the
>>> identifier for list-style-type or simply reject the whole property as a
>>> syntax error?
>>>

>> It should be rejected.
>>
>> The spec does not do so yet (that’s a bug to fix), but
>> <counter-style-name> should be defined as a <custom-ident>, so that this
>> restriction applies:
>>
>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-values/#custom-idents
>>
>>> an identifier that could be interpreted as a pre-defined keyword in
>>> any position or multiplication of the <custom-ident> component value
>>> is excluded, and is invalid as a <custom-ident> matching to that
>>> component value
>>>

> Looks like I spoke too fast, sorry. The WG is still undecided about what
> to do with <custom-ident> in shorthands:
>
> http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/css/20140402#l-499

So maybe we should explicitly add this case in css3-lists?

In addition, we have another problem that if there is a counter-style
called 'inside' or 'outside' and it is directly assigned to
'list-style-type', what serialized value should be returned for
'list-style'? If we returned 'outside outside none', than it breaks our
rules. Considering this, maybe we should completely exclude these two
keywords from possible counter style names.

- Xidorn