Re: [cssom-view] DOMRect with aliases x, y to left, top?

On Sep 27, 2013, at 12:37 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Henrik Andersson <henke@henke37.cjb.net> wrote:
> My point is how the width and right properties change when left and x
> are set. X changes right, left changes width.
>
> One models the moveable rectangle and the other models the stretchy
> rectangle.
>
> I think making setting of x/y behave differently from top/left is just super confusing. Imagine trying to explain to authors with a straight face why "x" is different from "left". It would be simpler to make them pure aliases and pick a consistent mutation behavior.

The question is the following:

If an author sets 'left', does he expect that 'right' changes, or does he expect that 'width' changes? For 'x' it seems clear, the author wants consistent 'width' so 'right' changes.

IMO, the author would except that for setting 'left', the UA will change 'right', if you explain the difference.

Or you have special behavior dependent of the attribute that is set. So even if 'x' has always the same value as 'left' and 'y' as 'right', setting one of them has different behavior. I think that is reasonable.

Greetings,
Dirk