Re: [css3-writing-modes] issues and editorial comments

On 09/20/2013 12:40 AM, John Daggett wrote:

> At the F2F last week it was resolved that the CSSWG publish a LC
> working draft of CSS3 Writing Modes [1].  But the spec still contains
> five issues.  Before publishing those should be addressed/fixed/removed
> depending upon what's appropriate.
>
> # Issue 4: The WG would appreciate a better (more obvious / easier to
> # type) name for this, if anyone can come up with one.
>
> Given that MS is shipping a prefixed property with this name I don't
> think it's appropriate at this point to open up a big naming debate. I
> would suggest that this issue be closed.

And EPUB/WebKit is shipping a prefixed property with a different name.
If someone comes up with something brilliant, I'd appreciate a better
standard name, the current one isn't super clear imho. We had the
directional naming issue open for many many years with no hope, and
did eventually come up with a better solution.

> The HTML source of the spec also includes a slew of old property
> values and outdated spec text.  If this is really the LC version of
> this spec, that stuff should be trimmed out I think to avoid confusion.

Done.

> I also don't think the 'digits' value should be marked at-risk.

It's marked at-risk because it wasn't in any of the EPUB profiles,
and thus has fewer implementations. Until MS implemented, we didn't
have any. I'm happy to remove if it's really a problem, but putting
things in the at-risk list isn't generally a problem.

> Other small editorial comments:
>
> - include the 15 Nov 2012 WD under previous drafts
> - remove the <br> in the abstract
> - appendix A needs to include the 'Vertical Orientation' property

Done.

~fantasai