Re: [css-page-floats] comments on Page Floats

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 20:56:33 +0200
To: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Also sprach MURAKAMI Shinyu:

 > In my understanding, the column is the containing block of
 > multicol's child blocks. For example,
 >
 > <multicol>
 >   <block1>
 >     <block2>...</block2>
 >   </block1>
 > </multicol>
 >
 > The block1's containing block is the column box,
 > but block2's containing block is block1.
 > Something wrong?

So the margins are set on an element inside the multicol element
and not on the multicol element? Yes, then the width of the page float
will change. Here's an example document

  http://people.opera.com/howcome/2013/tests/multicol/containing-block.html

which renders (in Opera 12.16):

  http://people.opera.com/howcome/2013/tests/multicol/containing-block.png

Normally, I would expect margins to be set on the multicol element
itself and column gaps to be set used to achieve spacing between columns.

But, you're right -- there are situations when the sizing will change.

-h&kon