Re: Media Query Variables

On 16 September 2013 14:20, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:02:53 +0200, Kornel LesiƄski <kornel@geekhood.net>
> wrote:
>

>> Browsers already schedule images to load with low priority. If a page has
>> other resources (JS, non-responsive images, frames/ads) to download it may
>> even keep network busy for long enough for the delay to be irrelevant.
>>

> I'm not convinced that it's irrelevant. If what you describe happens, and
> the main content images suffer from this problem, browsers could fill up
> the request queue with secondary images that don't, which would further
> delay the load of the main content images.

Pre-loader behaviour varies between browsers and not all browsers download
images with a low priority:

Last week I came across someone advocating this:

<script>
    var file = window.innerWidth < 1000 ? "mobile.css" : "desktop.css";
    document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="css/'+file+'"/>');
</script>

In IE10, a page with this and six content images results in behaviour we
don't want - the images consume the network connections delaying the
download of the CSS (
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/130912_H2_46d26d330e547c00c94742766cb347c1/1/details/),
WebKit browsers download the CSS first (not checked Opera or Mozilla).

Andy