Re: Media Query Variables

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 01:01:32 +0100, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> The rule is basically: if during source selection algorithm you
>> encounter a media query that you can't evaluate yet, abort the
>> algorithm and retry it whenever conditions change (when you do layout
>> in case of viewport MQ in
>> iframe, when MQ new vars are defined in case of async CSS, etc.)
>
> This looks like my #2, which as I said, is unworkable.  It means that
> a typo or a network failure that leads to one of the MQs never
> becoming valid will delay the source selection indefinitely,
> preventing the browser from even trying one of the other sources.

That's not what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting there should be timeout for
making the decision, and it should be same timeout that browsers have for
starting first rendering (browsers wait for external CSS to load, but if
external CSS doesn't load quick enough then eventually page gets rendered
without CSS).

And if browser doesn't have any timeout on waiting for CSS to load, and
CSS never loads and page never gets rendered at all… then it's not a
problem that some impossible to see images won't load either :)

BTW: exact timing is not important, as browser is allowed to update the
choice at any time.

--
regards, Kornel