Re: Media Query Variables

On 13 September 2013 12:05:13 David Newton <david@davidnewton.ca> wrote:

> +1 for using <meta>. I think this would solve many of the issues being
> discussed. Does anyone know why these variables can't or should be in the
> <head>, before <style>?

1. It makes a CSS feature use the HTML syntax.

2. It closes door on using external file for breakpoints ever (unless you
like having duplicate features). For example HTTP/2 Push could make
external stylesheet available before HTML is parsed. That would be the holy
grail - a single place for authors to manage breakpoints and compatibility
with the preload scanner.

3. Not all applications need preload scanner. For example app.ft.com is a
JS-based offline app. It needs responsive images, but not preload scanner.
It would be shame if it had to use worse syntax and less maintainable
solution to enable optimization it does not need.

--
regards, Kornel