Re: [[css-shapes]] feedback

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM, David Dailey <ddailey@zoominternet.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What I meant by the regular <rect> syntax was
>
> <rect x=[real number or percentage of screen] y=[ real number or percentage of screen] width=[length or percentage of screen] height=[length or percentage of screen] ... attribute-value list > -- I am assuming the spec talks about real numbers rather than imaginaries or quaternions or something else weird.

Embedding an XML micro-syntax in the middle of a CSS property seems
like a rather bad idea, personally.

> And yes, sure, why not just allow people to reference a real SVG object complete with fill and stroke and all the rest instead of inventing a thing called rectangle? In the case of inner flow, having text inherit the background of a drawn svg object complete with gradient and filters makes sense to me.

You can reference an SVG image by doing "shape-outside: url(foo.svg);"
- it'll use the SVG's alpha channel to determine the shape used.

For the rest, inheriting from a non-parent SVG somewhere else in the
document (or in another document) isn't happening, but gradients and
filters (including using SVG filters) are already possible in specs,
and at least partially possible in actual implementations.