Re: [css-fonts-4] Author-friendly unicode-range values?

Le 06/09/2013 00:02, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Lea Verou <lea@verou.me> wrote:
>> On Sep 4, 2013, at 21:19, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
>>> Maybe allow (unquoted) identifiers as well?
>>
>> You mean things like unicode-range: a-z; ?
>
> Well, "unicode-range: a z;", given his suggested grammar.  (Again,
> don't try and invent microsyntaxes using dashes.  They parse weird.)
>
>> I’m not sure what’s the point. Saving a few characters? It’s not used frequently enough that this would yield significant savings.
>
> Eh, I use the same thing for @counter-style.  It reads nicely.  But
> granted, it's not quite as important here, where you're less likely to
> get 26 strings in a row.

Yes, I got the idea from @counter-style. It does read a bit nicer, but I
agree that it’s not essential.

>> Furthermore, allowing idents makes it more difficult to add predetermined character classes in the future, e.g. unicode-range: basic-latin, greek;
>
> Not if they're defined to only be single-character.  Then
> multi-character keywords would still be available for the language to
> use.

I’m less comfortable with the same "type" of value having completely
different behaviors based on the length of an identifier, especially
when the less can be surprising in presence of combining code points.

--
Simon Sapin