Re: [css-colors] Specify the System Colors colors

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 02:04:59 +0200, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
wrote:

> If we standardize on a set of colors, I think it would make more
> sense to use a set of colors from the default theme of a recent
> Windows version than to use the Android/iOS defaults.

Works for me.

Why do you think that would make more sense? Because the CSS system colors
were copied from Windows?

> So I think there are two separate privacy/security concerns:
> spoofing (presenting fake dialogs to the user that appear to be
> real) and fingerprinting (using data that differs between users to
> identify them).
>
> In practice, I'm not that worried about spoofing.  Users seem to be
> spoofed just fine with screenshots of dialogs.  (Perhaps that's a
> sign that there's so much non-native-looking UI around that users
> have no expectation of native-looking UI.)  Though spoofing could
> become more of a risk in the future, I suppose.
>
> The fingerprinting is perhaps more of a real concern, but I think
> this is far from the worst fingerprinting vector available in CSS.
> (I suspect that's fonts.)

I agree.

Do you think it is pointless to get rid of weak fingerprint vectors so
long as there are stronger fingerprint vectors?

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software