Re: [css-multicol] column-width bound (>0) is illegal

Le 2013-10-15 11:38, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
> Per our design patterns for CSS properties (apparently not written
> down anywhere, unfortunately*), we don't use open continuous
> intervals

Tab,

I've read your message several times and I'm not sure I understand it...
and what you may mean with open continuous intervals.

> , because then whether something is valid or invalid depends
> on unpredictable and UA-specific rounding behavior.
>
> However, 'column-width' states that its value must be a <length>
> greater than zero.  This violates that constraint.

"
A length is a dimension. (...)
A dimension is a number immediately followed by a unit identifier. (...)
A number is either an <integer> or zero or more decimal digits followed
by a dot (.) followed by one or more decimal digits.
"
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/#lengths

Are you saying that column-width must not be using a real number (eg
column-width: 12.5px;)?

> I suggest that we instead state that there is a minimum size for
> columns (1px? ua-specific?), and that values less than this minimum
> are clamped to the minimum.  Values less than zero are still invalid,
> as they're nonsensical.

You say minimum is 1. The spec says greater than 0. Isn't those
equivalent?

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css3-multicol/nightly-unstable/html4/multicol-count-large-001.htm

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css3-multicol/nightly-unstable/html4/multicol-count-large-002.htm

In both these tests, the column-count is 1000 while the width of the
multi-column container is 192px. Is your message related somehow to
these 2 tests ?

--------

please put the text "css3-multicol" in the subject and not
"css-multicol" in the future.

Gérard