[mediaqueries4] zoom-ratio as a media feature

From: Alex Bell <alex@bellandwhistle.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 01:06:31 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
Hello,

Current developer efforts to reliably measure user zoom are basically
a shambles. There are dozens of different techniques, none of which
are truly comprehensive cross-browser. The most encyclopedic of all
approaches, the maniacally detailed 'detect-zoom' has been badly
broken on the desktop by recent changes to FF18 and Chrome 27. FF 18+
now change the 'devicePixelRatio' value on manual zoom (cmd/ctrl +/-),
arguably distorting the meaning of the word 'device'. On Chrome,
webkitTextSizeAdjust was deprecated on the desktop, the only
bulletproof method. For the whole convoluted story see:

https://github.com/tombigel/detect-zoom

One of the things that seems to trip up all discussion of this is that
some code bases tie zoom to resolution, while others do not.
Everybody's doing it their own way. This is an area that is just
screaming for standardization.

I realize I am probably wading into a few long-standing debates here,
but IMHO user zoom should be queryable through window.matchMedia. The
property could be called 'zoom-ratio', to make it absolutely clear
that it's a ratio, and it should accept min/max prefixes. I propose
that this be added to Media Queries Level 4.

If I'm late to the discussion, or just totally wrong, I would really
appreciate a nice clear explanation of why this is impossible, or a
bad idea.

Thanks for all your hard work,
Alex