Re: [css-masking] Referring to elements from CSS. (In, but not limited to [css-images-4] and [css-gcpm])

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 03:25:52 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

On Oct 9, 2013, at 11:25 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

>> On Oct 9, 2013, at 10:05 AM, "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On 10/01/2013 01:35 PM, Simon Sapin wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We have two drafts with features that refer to an element from the value of a CSS property. They do so with two different
>>> mechanisms; I think we should pick one preferred way.
>>
>> There's also the 'mask-image' property from CSS Masking,
>> which uses a select() functional notation.
>>
>> I think we should figure this all out before putting that
>> out as LCWD. :(
>
> This is on the at-risk list and was a request from the SVG WG. I am fine to move it out to the second level completely.
>
> Greetings
> Dirk

I agree that it is better to come up with a general proposal that we accept for all specifications. For this reason I removed select() and child from the first level of CSS Masking. This gives us enough time to discuss element selecting and we don't need to rush it. url(#fragment) for element referencing still needs to be supported for legacy reasons anyway.

Greetings,
Dirk