Re: [css-device-adapt] Avoid referring to Desktop

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen
> <kenneth.christiansen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I believe it is better to avoid referring to "desktop" in the CSS
>> Device Adaptation spec. I suggest the following change to
>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-device-adapt/#desktop-ua-styles-
>>
>> With the term desktop browser below, we mean a browser which has a
>> size of the initial viewport, in CSS pixels, that is at least as large
>> as the smallest viewport or viewing area you would expect a user of a
>> desktop computer to have. In that sense, it could include tablet PC
>> and TV browsers.
>>
>> 13.1. Desktop UA styles
>>
>> For a desktop browser, the recommendation is to have no UA styles.
>> That means that it will have all descriptors initially set to ‘auto’,
>> and behave as it would have without support for viewport descriptors
>> if there are no viewport descriptors in the user or author styles.
>>
>> -> change to:
>>
>> Traditional user agents, used mostly on desktop and laptop computers,
>> can easily be resized to fit most websites inside the initial viewport
>> without breaking layout or adding scrollbars. Using the below
>
> I'd remove "or adding scrollbars", since adding scrollbars is common,
> at least a vertical one.

OK, I don't mind

>> recommendations, sites not adding any @viewport rules themselves will
>> continue to look and function like they have always.
>
> "have always" -> "always have"?

Sure.

>> 13.1. Large screen UA styles
>>
>> For browsers with default viewport size large enough to fit common
>
> "default viewport size" is not defined. "initial viewport size"?

initial, it is

>> websites without breaking the layout, or which can easily to resized
>> to do so, the recommendation is to have no UA styles. That means that
>> it will have all descriptors initially set to ‘auto’, and behave as it
>> would have without support for viewport descriptors if there are no
>> viewport descriptors in the user or author styles.
>
> That last sentence was really hard to read. I wrote it, I know :-)
> I'll try to make it better.
>
>> For browsers which support changing orientation, and the portrait mode
>> breaks this the above, it is recommended to set a minimum layout
>> width, equal to that of the width in landscape mode.
>
> I don't think this is necessary. Setting min-width in the UA styles,
> leaving max-width as auto, will extend the width to the initial
> viewport width if it's wider than min-width.

I think it would be good as we heard from John Mellor et al, that they
actually though about this and the solution wasn't immediate obvious
to them.

--
Kenneth Rohde Christiansen
Web Platform Architect, Intel Corporation.