Re: [css-shapes] Functional Notation

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 17:43:51 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
On 10/02/2013 11:03 AM, Alan Stearns wrote:
> fantasai wrote:
>> Couple of implications I noted:
>>
>>    1. Because this allows the full <position> syntax, it also lets
>>       you position things from e.g. the bottom right corner, rather
>>       than just the top left.
>
> I'm not sure this does what you're implying. You could specify the
> position using those keywords, but that would only give you additional
> ways of specifying the top left corner of a rectangle, or the center of a
> circle. It's nice, but it's sugar, not new functionality.

The <position> syntax positions a rectangle with respect
to another rectangle. I don't think that should change
just because we're positioning a shape with respect to a
box, rather than an image with respect to a box.

So all length values would position the top left of the
shape with the top left of the box, as currently. But
specifying a different reference corner would both change
both the shape and the box.

~fantasai